Monday, September 14, 2009

ROLLIN' ON THE RIVER








We had the most incredible day !! - even though we had to get up at 5:45 .

We first took a drive to the Chobe River where it is the only place in the world where 4 countries come together; Zambia, Nambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana. We take a small boat across the river to the Botswana border - go through immigration - take another bus to the Mowana Resort and board a boat for a 3 hr river safari. It was more than I could have dreamed - plus, I was just so happy to be on the water - wind blowing in the hair....sun shining. We saw hundreds of elephants, hippo, buffalo and crocodiles. There are islands in the middle of the delta region of the Chobe and since it hasn't rained since March....many of the animals cross over where there is food (grass).We also saw herds of Cape Buffalo grazing and beautiful birds ...... and loved the endless vistas.

After a great lunch back at the lodge, we had an afternoon game drive....you will see the photos - and I must tell you that the last two elephant encounters made my heart race. Too close for my comfort. I was teased - whatever

Mary

The elephants in the sunset was such a lucky find. The sun had set and we were racing back to the hotel. I had hopes of viewing the sunset over the river with the zebras munching on the lawn, but it was not meant to be. But the elephants in the sunset made up for it.

The bird picture doesn't do justice. I'll do a better job with it later.

No comments: